Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tomato Tarte Tatin


I tried the tomato tarte tatin recipe that was in the NY Times a week or so ago, and managed to produce a kind of tasty failure.
It called for frozen puff pastry - my first reaction was to try to make it myself, but then I read the puff pastry recipes from Julia Child, Jacques Pepin and Patricia Wells and reconsidered. Besides, my forays into baking usually end in disaster. I have made a tarte tatin before, and even though the pastry I make is more rustic, not real puff pastry, I usually make a mess with it and it crumbles and breaks and burns. SO, I found a good frozen puff pastry at the grocery store (from Dufour Pastry Kitchens). The flavors of the tarte were fantastic - the sweet carmelized onions, the tangy yellow and red cherry tomatoes, the olives and thyme - but the pastry ended up a soggy mess. I guess grape tomatoes would have released less liquid than cherries, or better yet I could have roasted the tomatoes first. (Although I never would have tried the recipe then because the oven would have been on forever and the apartment would have been 500 degrees.) It made me long for the addition of anchovies, though I guess then it would be just a pissaladiere with tomatoes...which actually sounds pretty great to me. Maybe next time.

(The pastry was good - I know only because Alex took the scraps from the tarte and made yummy little crescent rolls with them.)

No comments: