Thursday, September 11, 2008

Alfanoose (Maiden Lane)


I walked up to cart central on Broadway and Cedar but a lot of the vendors had been moved to prepare for the Sept 11 memorial. I wonder if the vendors moved or whether they were told they couldn't set up today? I hope they were compensated. Also, did anyone know there was a statewide sing-a-long of "Let it Be" today at 2pm ? How did we manage to make this annual "commemoration" into something so tacky and maudlin. Let it Be? Seriously? I'm posting the sheet from my building management above so no one will think I'm making this shit up. There's a "New Orleans funk" band playing on our plaza, which will stop at 2pm and break into a chorus of "Let it Be." WTF? Please see wonkette for a pictorial tribute to this sort of thing. (I worked down here on Sept 11, and it was horrible. It's not that I think the anniversary should be ignored, but perhaps that it is commemorated more effectively with silence. I don't see how a New Orleans funk band whispering words of wisdom seven years later is helping anything.)

So I walked up to Alfanoose on Maiden Lane. What a treat - Alfanoose serves the best middle eastern food in this area. Oh how I wish I could find a cart serving food this delicious. I also wish that Alfanoose were closer to my office. The contents of my container shifted a little during my walk to the park (I like to eat by the water), and the picture is terrible anyway - but I swear this is some wondrous stuff. The mojadara - bulgur with tomato sauce and fried onions - has such a heavenly texture and earthy, sweet and sour flavor - I almost ate that whole 5 lb serving. The babaghanoush is smooth and tangy with real eggplant flavor. The taboule is mostly parsley so it functions more as a salad (compared with the versions that are mostly bulgur) - very refreshing with strong lemony flavor. I love the garnishes of pickled radish and cucumber and fresh red onion. Other times I've tried the tender chicken schwarma, marinated in tangy spices and I highly recommend both the sandwich and the platter. Alfanoose is one of the few lunch options down here that is worth a trip, or at least a small detour.

No comments: