Friday, September 19, 2008

Sandwiches at Murray's Cheese Shop



Field trip! This doesn't really qualify as a Wall Street lunch, but these amazing gems are just a short subway ride away. Aside from ino, the pressed panini at Murray's are my favorite sandwiches in the city. Murray's is one of my favorite places in the world, but I'm sure these sandwiches would win in a blind taste test. In the "Smoky Joe" pictured here, the perfectly pressed bread is filled with amazing smoked mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and basil. It's a flavor bonanza. The ratio of fillings to bread is perfect, and each element is enhanced by the combination. This is my ideal sandwich.

Of course I can't go to Murray's without stocking up on some cheese, with the help of the geniuses behind the counter. I had to bring them back to work with me, so I stuffed them in the fridge at my office, permanently stinking up the pantry. (Sorry work peoples!)
We have taken a couple of classes in their cheese school on the second floor recently (one on sherry and Spanish cheeses, and one on blue cheeses from around the world) - this trip reminds me that we need to register for more. When I lived in this neighborhood a few years ago Murray's was in the tiny space across the street. I'm glad they have moved into grander digs, more appropriate for an operation of this magnitude, one of the most important institutions in the NY food world. YAY Murrays!

No comments: