Friday, September 12, 2008

Bouchon Bakery (Time Warner Center mall)


I had to be in midtown early in the morning a couple of days this week for a seminar. When I got off the D at Columbus Circle, hungry for breakfast, I remembered Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner Center. Thomas Keller is such a perfectionist, I assume he would not associate his name with any mediocre establishment, so I began the ascent up three escalators to the top of the mall. This mall thing feels so weird and out of place in New York, but at the same time it doesn't feel like it could be anywhere else. (OMG, someone is mallwalking here, with running shoes, weights, headphones - the works. Right across the street from Central Park. And it's not like it's raining or anything, it's 75 and sunny outside. How bizarre.)

Hmm, muffins? A slice of coffee cake? I opted for the almond raspberry croissant and a double espresso (to keep me awake for my upcoming 8 hours of tax law lectures). OK, there's a little too much going on here - almonds, powdered sugar, almond paste and raspberry jam- but the pastry is definitely delicious. What started out as a restrained French pastry has been super-sized and infused with extra flavors and fillings for the American mall crowd! Whatever, it's damn tasty. And this espresso is pretty good too.

I went back for lunch but I didn't have time to sit in the roped off table service part - I just ordered a ham and cheese croissant from the to-go counter. It was pressed and toasted, with the gruyere melting and dripping out of the flaky pastry. Also had an Arnold Palmer (lemonade and iced tea) and a tiny moist but cakey chocolate bouchon - mmmm. Quite a tasty lunch.

No comments: