Monday, September 1, 2008

Alan's Falafel - Broadway between Cedar and Liberty


Alan's is one of the many carts located in the street food bonanza of this block. I decided to try it first because of the long line and limited menu, which I think are good signs with food carts. Of the two options, falafel sandwich and falafel plate, I opted for the plate which came with a dollop of hummus, babaghanoush, a stuffed grape leaf, some pieces of fried eggplant, a piece of pita, and lettuce and tomato. Everything was topped with a generous covering of hot sauce and white sauce. (I was impressed by the helping of hot sauce - most vendors seem to think I can't handle the hot sauce, being a girl and all, so they never give me quite enough. This guy gave me a man-sized portion, which I appreciated.) The falafel had a nice thick and crunchy coating, and the spiced chickpea filling was toothsome but not too dry or crumbly, like some lesser forms can be. The side dishes were passable - I especially liked all of the black pepper in the babaghanoush. The stuffed grape leaf had the vinegary tang that I look for and a nice creamy texture
with the grains of rice kind of melded together.
The falafel is the thing, though - and Alan's offers
a carefully made and delicious version. (A good bargain
too - the plate is $5, and the sandwich is only $3!)

No comments: