Monday, September 1, 2008

The Modern Martini

I heard recently that scientists have isolated the gene for liking cilantro - if something in this gene is turned on, then you love it, if it's not, cilantro just smells like soap and tastes horrible. Hopefully, with the advances of modern science, the problem can be fixed - no one should be deprived of the enjoyment of such an amazing taste and heavenly fragrance. Until then, more for me, I guess. My love for cilantro explains why I worship this martini invented by a smartypants mixmaster at the Modern. It's made from cilantro-infused Tanqueray gin and lime juice, and garnished with a lime and cherry tomato. Just the smell of this drink makes me happy - it's the loveliest scent in the world and I want to wear it as my perfume forever and ever, the end. Also, it tastes perfect. The cilantro flavor is there, though it's stronger in the scent than the taste, the herbal flavor of the gin still comes through, and the lime juice (which must be a little bit sweetened) rounds it all out. This is the most excellent cocktail I know.

No comments: