Monday, September 15, 2008

Ruben's Empanadas (Broad and Stone)



A few locations, this one is at Broad and Stone - right behind the Goldman Sachs building. The empanadas are kept hot in a weird ovenlike vending-machine contraption, and sometimes the savory pastry crust has a hardened texture, like it has been sitting in there a day or so too long. However, when they're good they're really good. I'm partial to the spicy chicken empanada, which combined with their delicious vinegary hot sauce provides quite a kick. I also like a small cup of the black bean soup on the side. Today I tried the gazpacho but I can't really recommend it - too watery and garlicky, not enough tomato flavor, tiny specks of parsley and no cilantro (cilantro may not be traditional in gazpacho, I don't know - I just really like cilantro in everything). Inside the empanada, the minced chicken filling is combined with lots of red pepper sauce, tiny chopped green onions and red peppers. The perfect bite has more chicken than pastry and a healthy dunk in the tiny cup of hot sauce.

No comments: