Friday, August 22, 2008

Veronica's on Front and Pine





I admit I'm not making any discovery here - Veronica's, which serves West Indian fare similar to Shirley's, was a finalist for a Vendy award. I can confirm that all honors are much deserved, and this is the best downtown cart I have tried so far. I made the mistake of going too late - while I was in line, they ran out of callaloo, mac and cheese, and curry chicken. I had the only things that were left - curry goat with rice and peas and pumpkin. The goat was meltingly tender and fatty without being greasy, with extremely well-balanced spices. The rice and peas were tender and seasoned, and the pumpkin had a sweet tangy flavor. The menu is similar to Shirley's, but with all the flavors are magnified and so much more complex. If this place were closer to my office, I just might eat here every day. I walked a block over to the river, sat on a wide comfy bench and ate while watching a parade of strange little US Navy boats speed down the river and listening to squawking seagulls blended with the whirr of helicopter traffic.
Each small entree comes with a choice of 1 starch and 1 vegetable - if only she had some of those homemade drinks like the ones at Shirley's cart!

No comments: